Wednesday, January 3, 2018

What to wear Wednesday - The Hudson Pant

In an effort to keep myself accountable to my goal of sewing more garments for my wardrobe in 2018, I've created new blog feature. What to wear Wednesday will be a frequent (first I typed weekly, but who am I kidding?) topic here at ellyn's place to keep you up to date on patterns I'm sewing, what worked (and didn't!) for me and the like.

So what am I wearing today? One of my many Linden Sweatshirts that I chatted about here. The Linden  is a Grainline Studio pattern and has quickly become one of my favorites. My closet is currently overflowing with them.... no doubt you'll see more of them popping up here on the blog down the road. And my pants? A new discovery, The Hudson Pant by True Bias. This is the first pair of Hudson's I've made and they are a big win for me! (there might be a second pair all cut out and ready to sew on my cutting table. maybe. probably.)
In these cold winter days of couch lounging, waiting for healing, watching The Crown, the Hudson pants are a perfect fit. I was worried that the bands at the bottom of the leg would not accommodate my fancy leg brace, but miraculously they do! So, with a long top, I've even been able to wear these out of the house with shoes. Big plus!

I had never used a True Bias pattern before, and I was very impressed. The attention to detail is fantastic.... trim on the side seam pockets, stitched down wide elastic band, drawstring and previously mentioned ankle bands. Despite the extra details, the pattern was easy to follow, and a quick make. I used a double knit from Joanns which sounds like old lady fabric but is so cute & was a great weight and stretch for this pattern. I made the size that matched my measurements and it fits perfectly. I did take about 2 inches off the length, next time I will make them about an inch longer, but this pair is perfectly wearable. Seriously, I wear them nearly every day and need a pair in every color.

What's your go to garment pattern this winter?



3 comments:

Maria said...

You look very smart in your winter outfit.....
Hmm! Winter clothes, not here still need to make theT shirt I bought the pattern for last year....

Lisa C said...

Do you read the blog Girls in the Garden? The lady sews both quilts and clothing. She gives excellent reviews of the patterns she uses and she's made several winter sweatshirt type tops (but nice) lately. You might find her blog interesting and helpful in your quest to make more clothing.

Ondrea said...

Such a clever bunny! I do not sew clothes infact I have found that it is no less expensive here. I am not really a sewer more a stitcher (does tgat make sense?). It would be good to make clothes as I am quite height challenged. It is amusing to think that you are so cold over there while we had 42 degees C here yesterday.Although I was watching your NBC orogram this morning and I saw how awful the big freeze is over there. You keep indoors and stay snug.