Monday, May 19, 2014

random stuff from my weekend

Why do weekends go so fast? I love having my peeps home on the weekend and doing fun things with them. This weekend, Ally & I hit up the flea market in McKinney, Texas. I've been wanting to add Milk Glass pieces to my collection and I love me some vintage pyrex. I scored on both counts this weekend! Yay!
 Ally mostly went for the Kettle Corn (smart girl!).

Also on the agenda, planning for her upcoming graduation party. We had some fun at Party City & then I decided to sew some garland for decorating....
 I ended up with about 6 yards of polka dot garland, paper circles (1 3/4 inches) cut out with a paper punch and sewn together on my machine. It went together so fast! There will be more of this.... stay tuned!

On Sunday I spent most of the afternoon making myself an Esme Top (pattern by Sew Liberated).
As always with Sew Liberated patterns, I loved this one! The fit is spot on and the construction is well explained. I do wish some of the seams were finished differently, but overall it's a terrific pattern.
The fabric I used is Windham Fabrics Garden Party Tango. It has the most wonderful feel & drape to it, perfect for garment sewing. I did make one change to the pattern. I did not put the band on the bottom of the sleeves as the pattern called for. I just prefer my sleeves to hang loose. I hemmed them up (by machine) a bit shorter than the pattern and I am quite happy with them. In fact, I am very happy with the whole top! 

So, a productive weekend here. What about you? Did you do or make anything fun this weekend?


4 comments:

Chantal said...

Morning Ellyn! I totally agree with you about the weekends. They go by WAY to quickly. I love your tunic. So pretty.

Maria said...

you did have a great weekend. love the garland and your new top....I prefer the sleeves without the band too.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Nice tunic! Can't wait to see more of the polka dot garland.

Melissa said...

That top looks great on you!!! And what a FUN garland!