Saturday, September 22, 2012

learning to sew

Some of the junior high girls at church indicated to me that they would like to learn to sew. We synced our schedules (ok, theirs really! Those girls are BUSY!) and decided to begin this morning. I thought it would be fun to start with.....
BUTTONS!

I set the girls up with embroidery hoops, white cotton fabric, needles, needle threaders, scissors and all kinds and colors of buttons and thread. We looked at some fun pictures on Pinterest to get ideas, I taught them the basics of needle threading and button sewing, and turned them loose.
 It was great to see their creative juices flowing. Each button picture is going to be quite different when it is finished. They will have something fun to hang in their bedrooms and will have learned a valuable skill in the meantime.
I told the girls that when sewing and crafting there are no real rules, only guidelines. Oh, one rule actually. There must be chocolate. They liked that rule!

The girls want to learn to sew on the machine too. We are going to make drawstring bags next time we meet. I can't wait!

7 comments:

Sally said...

This sounds like sew much fun! I hope that I will be able to teach my niece (or my nephew) to sew someday!

Melissa said...

It sounds like a good start to their sewing skills, and I'm so glad you taught them the importance of chocolate! :>)

memmens said...

Hurrah for teaching children to sew! I won't tell you what I said to my eldest yesterday when she asked if she could do some sewing!

Unknown said...

I love you rule....chocolate! What a great way to invest in their future! Those girls are lucky to have you in their lives.

Joanne said...

What a wonderful idea to start them off with! I have to say my 10 year old son is a great sewing help, but also my harshest critic!!

legato1958 said...

What fun to let them see how much sewing can be! I wish I would've taught my daughter to sew on the sewing machine a little.

Susie
www.susiesSunroom.com

FeltByRae said...

How lovely to see them enjoying sewing

My sister is a computer trainer and she has a chocolate rule too - she says people learn better with it so she always has some in her lessons!