Sunday, August 19, 2012

Halloween mini quilt

I had so much fun making my Lil Twister quilt that I wanted to do more. I was excited to find out that there are smaller templates. I bought the Itty Bitty Primitive Pinwheels pattern/template by Primitive Gatherings. I'm not sure how they got away with selling this, surely it breaks some copyright rules? I don't know. But I was happy to have it. The finished squares that make up the pinwheels are one inch. ONE INCH! Am I crazy? Perhaps. I spent an afternoon making up this little square...
 The whole square measured 6 1/2 inches. Yikes! It was fun to do, but lots of tiny squares. I am not always a terribly accurate quilter, but I was very careful with this and it turned out great! One tip.... I used lots of Mary Ellen's Best Press and steamed the heck out of this baby so it would lie flat.

I thought maybe it needed a solid orange border? I posted the above picture on Facebook and a friend said "it needs a piano key border". Seriously??? How tiny would those piano keys have to be? As I reached for my orange solid the guilt hit me. She was right. It was crying out for a piano key border. Sigh.
So I did it! The keys are 1/2 x1 inch finished. Maybe if you blow this picture up you can see the little spiders I fussy cut for the corners too. I suppose now I need to layer this up and quilt it..... the finished block is 12 inches square.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Your tiny pieces in your mini have come together beautifully.

Ellen said...

I love it! The color development working out from the center is great. I haven't tried anything that small, but it looks like you're a natural!

Sally said...

This is really adorable! I haven't tried anything quite this tiny, yet, but someday I will!

Melissa said...

Oh wow, that is a lot of little bity pieces - great job!!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

So itty bitty!! I love it! the piano key border pulls it all together.