Thursday, January 12, 2012

One week one thing.... week one finish

Lots of people are jumping on the "One week one thing" challenge this year. The Quilt Asylum blogged about it here and I decided to give it a try. Anything to start checking things off my list! So this week I challenged myself to finish up the Cross Quilt that I started way back in October for the church youth auction coming up. And today I finished up the final stitches on the binding.

I wanted to take a picture of it right away to share with you. It's a beautiful sunny day in Texas (a bit cold but sunny) so I headed outside with my quilt & my camera. Only one problem.... man is it windy out there! For the life of me I could not get the quilt to stay up on the fence and by the time I have a helper to hold it for me it will be dark. So I came back inside and tried to take some pictures with the quilt laying on the carpet. Lexi found that most entertaining. I snapped about 20 pictures of the quilt on the floor and they all came out crooked & wonky. What I really needed to do was stand on a chair so I could get directly above it, but given my recent knee surgery, I thought my sweet hubby might frown on that plan. I really didn't want him to come home & find me in a heap on the floor (at least I would have had a quilt to keep me warm, right?) This is the BEST shot I got.


Not good. So finally I draped it on the couch & took this shot (with my phone no less! so at least you can see how it turned out...


Most of the binding is stone colored, but I was a bit short. Mom suggested I make one strip of some of the other solids from the crosses so I did. I you look there in the bottom left corner you can see it. Great idea, Mom! Thanks. I really love the way it turned out and I hope it raises lots of money for the kids at church.




Today I am thankful for my church and for the sunshine...

6 comments:

Tilly said...

Fabulous! Congrats on a finish!

Melissa said...

Isn't it funny what we'll do to get the perfect photo to showcase our creations?

The quilt turned out lovely and I am so thankful for the sunshine today, too.

Maria said...

I agree with Melissa. You have to have the right setting for the quilt photo shoot. LOL
Love the finished quilt.

Ellyn when I e-mil you they are returned. It'd happened several times now????

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I have no pretty places to take pictures of my finishes unless I stick them on a bulldozer. :) Very nice finish, Ellyn. I'm sure it will bring in loads of dough for the kids at church!

~Niki~ said...

nice! great job.that was quick.

Sewjoe said...

Yeah! All done! Now what is next?