Friday, July 29, 2011

Groovy Nametag Holder

Have you heard about the Groovy Girls Clubs springing up everywhere? They were created by Terry Atkinson of Atkinson designs. Many quilt stores are starting clubs, using her curriculum. Lucky for me, The Quilt Asylum is one! Actually, they had a club last year but I wasn't able to fit it into my schedule. When they announced it was starting again, I jumped right on the bandwagon and signed up for all six months.

Monday night was our first meeting. What fun! The room was filled with returning Groovys and newbies like me. We got pattern tips, recipes, and a free pattern. The pattern was for this name tag holder..... I've been seeing the selvage trend growing & it was fun to try it out on a little project like this. At the bottom is a clear plastic pocket where you slide your name tag. Guess what I did? I slid the blank paper in to see if it fit. Then.... I stitched the binding on and STITCHED THE PAPER INTO THE POCKET! Geez. I could tear it out, but it would be messy. So I have cut another and will just slide it in front.

Here's the back of this sweet little holder...

If you look closely, you will see that there is a zipper pocket on each side (our instructions included an easy squeezy method to put in the zippers). There is also an open pocket on the back. Plenty of space for a drivers license, cash & credit card & even a cell phone & car key. What else could I possibly need?


I only changed up one thing from the pattern. It had you tie the ends of the "strap" (which is an extension of the binding) to hang it around your neck. I made mine a little longer and stitched the ends together. This way I can wear it as a sling bag.


If you have the chance to join a Groovy Girls club I say Go For It! Great fun.

2 comments:

Sally said...

This is cute! I'm going to a concert tomorrow night and I'm sure it would be the perfect thing :-) I hate carrying a large purse to events like concerts, etc.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Cute! No Groovy Girls here. I'll just keep tabs on what you're making. :)