Hubby and I snuck away for a fun vacation in California last week. The main focus of our trip was baseball (we saw games at 3 of the 5 MLB parks in CA), but I did manage to sneak in one quilt shop. Driving from San Diego to LA, we stopped at Needle in a Fabric Stash in Temecula. This adorable little shop is jam packed full of goodies, lots of modern fabrics (I picked up some Cotton & Steel basics for my stash), and fun patterns. The staff and the owner were super friendly and knowledgeable. The shop is featured in the latest issue of Quilt Sampler, so I'm sure they'll be busy for a long time!
I have been eyeing up Grainline Studio's Scout Tee pattern for quite a while. When I saw it at the shop, I decided to grab one... along with an add on variation pattern that the shop owner designed. I can't wait to play with that! For now, I decided to make up the pattern as is, to make sure the fit was right. What a great pattern! In one day I made not one, but TWO Scout Tees!
Both fabrics are inexpensive cotton from Joanns but the finished tops are totally wearable! The black print top is made exactly following the pattern directions (which are great).
And it fits perfectly!
The blue one, I added a coral contrast facing in the neckline and at the sleeve hems. I also took the time to do french seams, so all of the edges are neatly encased.
Hubby was so sweet to take about a hundred pictures of me wearing them, so that at least 2 would come out good!
I have tons of variations of this tee in my head... can't wait to try them all out. My new uniform for summer.... I highly recommend the Scout Tee!
I had great intentions of making them up into a quilt for ME right away... and then, well, life happened. Factor in a knee replacement, holidays and vacations... you get it, right?
Also I had a very hard time deciding what to make. There was lots of searching on Pinterest. Lots of internal debating. And finally, I settled on hashtag blocks. I put it on my second quarter finish along list because I knew that would push me to get it done. Low and behold....
I finished it! And I love it!
Each block os 12 inches, so the finished quilt is 60" X 72". The background is Kona Steel Gray and I think it really makes the hand dyed fabrics pop.
The amazing quilting was done by my buddy Diann.
And so, I am finished with my second quarter list! Whew!
It's that time of year again! Time for the Pantone Color of the Year challenge. When I saw Greenery this year, I knew it was a color I was itching to play with. And the Kona color? Flamingo! I love them both. Our challenge for the McKinney Modern Quilt Guild isn't due until July but I wanted to get mine done in time to enter the challenge over at Bryan House Quilts. You'll want to take a peek at all of the fabulous entries! So much fun.
My original idea for a greenery/flamingo quilt involved more than 600 1 inch half square triangles. Yeah.... no. I abandoned that idea pretty quickly! Then I started sketching these succulents and my mini, Tiny Plants, was born! The challenge for guild was to go outside our box. This is the first time I've totally drawn up an appliqué pattern myself (and yes, the simple shapes lent themselves nicely to my limited drawing skills!)
I made it completely from my stash. My friend Diann has been experimenting with miniaturizing some of her longarm patterns and offered to quilt it for me.... don't you love the fun circles? I do!
I machine blanket stitched the raw edge appliqué.
and added a watering can. My finished mini measures 9" x 24"
soon there will be so many pillows on the couch we won't have a place to sit! Ha!
I love how my stripes woven up on my rigid heddle loom go so nicely with the pillows I wove on Kathie's floor loom. I used the same yarns (8/2 cotton, literally from the same cones!) and added in a lime green and a lighter teal.
A couple of months ago, I warped my rigid heddle loom with double strands of 8/2 cotton natural yarn, so I could experiment with weaving some new rayon chenille yarn. My intention was to weave the whole warp with this yarn, and possibly make the finished fabric into a garment. Turns out rayon chenille is a bit of a pain to weave. The project kept stalling. Rather than let it sit much longer, I finally decided to do some different things with the warp. Today I finally took it off the loom!
Here is the piece of chenille I did get woven, before I wet finished it. It was rather stiff and obviously not big enough for a garment! haha
After I machine washed and dried it, the fabric is incredibly soft! Not sure what I'll do with it, but it's beautiful
I wove the rest of the warp with doubled strands of 8/2 yarn. First up, a striped pattern to make a pillow to coordinate with the ones I made last month at Kathie's. This is just plain weave.
Another plain weave stripe pattern where I did some color play and added in a lime green. Another pillow to be made.
Then a red waffle weave towel....
Even after all of this, I still had quite a bit of warp left! I decided to play with a pattern that uses 2 pick up sticks, just to learn. I loved the effect......
Unfortunately, after I washed it and it shrunk up (a lot!) the pattern is kind of a mess. I think tomorrow I will try wetting it down & blocking it to see if I can create something useable.
It's interesting to see all of the different things I can do with the same plain warp! Finished projects to come...
As a special charity project for the McKinney Modern quilt guild, we are making pencil cases, crayon roll ups and matchbox car roll ups for CASA. The kids represented by CASA spend lots of boring time in courthouses and need something fun to do while they wait. At our last meeting, I grabbed 2 kits to make these awesome pencil cases that hold 12 colored pencils and a small pad of paper.
These went together in no time at all, using a great tutorial from Bonnie, our charity chair. I'm sure I'll be making a few more.